[more like "when spoofing is judged by a double standard"] RE: When spoofing is.

2004-03-20 11:06:13

I often use potus(_at_)a1(_dot_)eop(_dot_)gov as the from address in those
forms
I bet many others do similar.

As much as "no(_dot_)thanks(_at_)no(_dot_)spam(_dot_)wanted(_dot_)invalid" and
"go-away(_at_)example(_dot_)com" are
popular entries for "mandatory e-mail address" forms, those at least point to
black holes.  I'd hate to be Mr/Ms/Dear/etc "Potus" when that mailbox is
opened, and I'd hate to be the administrator of a1.eop.gov after seeing the
bounce logs.

Now this is interesting.  Anything we come up with here will go to marketers'
[1] advantage, as anyone requiring e-mail addresses to send resource access
information can make sure a registration request actually came from said
person.  Or at least the domain of said person if validating the domain part
only...

hey... I can live with that actually, given that I can hold said marketers to
the same standard and refuse their domain's mail.  Who needs a double
standard when the standard works to everyone's benefit?

[1] not 'spammers' necessarily.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>