Re: [overloading TXT again?] RE: when spoofing isn't

2004-03-20 12:40:48

In <700EEF5641B7E247AC1C9B82C05D125DA7EE(_at_)srv1(_dot_)pan-am(_dot_)ca>
"Gordon Fecyk" <gordonf(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca> writes:

Even so, there's an issue with the maximum length of TXT records (255
chars, after which BIND seems to split the record), and the arbitrary
returned order of multiple TXT records.

The maximum length of a TXT is something like 64k, but the text is
broken up into substrings of a maximum of 255 bytes (127 bytes for
djbdns).  While I couldn't find anything in an RFC that says that
these substrings will sent in a consistent order, I don't know of a
DNS implementation that mixes them up.  Note that there is a
difference between one TXT record with mutliple strings, and multiple
TXT records under a given domain name.  The latter *will* often be
reordered.

The following is a single TXT record with multiple strings:

example.com  TXT "substring one" "substring two"

The following are multiple TXT records within a given domain

example.org  TXT "string one"
example.org  TXT "string two"

I thought we weren't going to overload existing record types.

The charter says that we are supposed to be discussing the choices of
identities now.  Considering that the WG hasn't even gotten final
approval yet, I don't think "we" could have decided anything yet.

-wayne