Re: Intermediate MTA setting MAIL-From

2004-03-23 13:42:01

ned.freed> (At long least we've reached a matter of operational realities,
rather
than
discussion of what the various fields mean.)

<blah>
Consensus on what the data we exchange "mean" is the only ground for
(inter) operational reality. But of course, "meaning" isn't an inherent
property of the data, often, it emerges in *use*. A piece of data can have
multiple (even contradictory) meanings in different contexts, for different
actors. This realisation can lead us to a valuable engineering insight - we
can specify an enabling mechanism which supports the different uses
(meanings) that may be made by various entities but needn't necessarily
(although we may) endorse, or deprecate, any particular use.
</blah>