Re: Ruminations

2004-03-27 13:02:55

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 01:50:11PM -0600, Gordon Fecyk wrote:

Some of those changes
are going to break some functionality that a minority of users rely on

[...]

As I see it, the answers as to what should be broken and what should not are
already being decided by the users.

Gordon, could you clarify this apparent contradiction?  One the one
hand, it appears to me that you're okay with breaking user-desired
functionality.  On the other, it seems to me that you think the users
should be the arbiter of what's broken.

Is it that you're using two different senses of the term "user"?  In
your first statement, the "users" to which you refer seem to be
end-users -- those people sitting at a computer, typing email into an
MUA.  In your second statement, the "users" to which you refer seem to
be people responsible for running MXes and MTAs -- those people who
control the filtering that occurs at the points prior to incoming email
being queued.

Do you consider both groups to be the same?

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org