RE: Ruminations

2004-03-29 12:52:15

It's happening right now.  Meng should pat himself on the
back for a great
marketing campaign but ultimately, they decided.

Meng produced a lot of working code, and listened to what many other
people said.  SPF didn't gain it's current popularity by marketing.

Not by itself, admittedly.  Working implementations help.  :-)  Again, back
pats all around for that.

The underlying point I intended, however, was that its users decided to use
it.  They are deciding right now, as we debate over a standard for this sort
of thing.  And they will decide if they want to abandon (or break) existing
features in e-mail to use it (or Caller-ID[tm], or whatever).

Mark pointed out this:

One the one
hand, it appears to me that you're okay with breaking user-desired
functionality.  On the other, it seems to me that you think the users
should be the arbiter of what's broken.

This is contradictory as he pointed out.  I'm OK with breaking certain
functionality that many others want, but ultimately I accept that these many
others will decide what will be used (or broken).  The minority will be badly
affected, but I expect they will adapt.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>