Re: Limited scope of work

2004-03-30 23:08:09

I think a fourth category may be needed:  Unknown -- IPs that
are untrusted, but not necessarily bad.

Otherwise, we risk falling into the mindset that anything not
explicitly permitted is to be dropped.

"Gordon Fecyk" <gordonf(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca> writes:
Actually, that is EXACTLY the mindset that should be adopted.  If we
don't adopt this mindset we might as well trust everything by default
like we have for the past fifteen+ years.  Or is it twenty+ years?

I'm going to go with Gordon on this one... however, I don't see it as black and white. (Similar to what I was saying in the RFC2476 thread... we can certainly SAY something is deprecated, but that will not turn it off day one.

Which is what I think the previous writer was getting at. Nobody is planning to drop non-LMAP mail on the floor right away... I am guessing it will be some months, probably years, before large numbers of people turn off the unchecked/unknown/non-LMAP mail. We will have to decide what to do with unknown cases, or perhaps allow the recipient flexibility to decide as they do today -- caveat receiver (receiver beware).

There is a sliding scale between "break (all) (now)" and "break (nothing) (ever)" - very few people live at either extreme. We will have to decide what to break (or excuse me, *deprecate*) and when... odds are that our thoughts on this are closer than we think.

--wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wrote:
The issue of whether there should be just a pass/fail, or if there
should be some levels of gray in the LMAP proposals seems to be one
that many reasonable people disagree on.  I think most people agree
that the desired result is widespread adoption with generally only
pass/fail results, but there is disagreement about how to reach this
goal.

Speaking for myself, I like the flexibility that "soft fail" or "test only" type of modes give you. SPF has it, MS-CID has it, though much weaker.

The second most popular SPF record in the adoption roll is an example
of how one specialized web hosting company who decides to add SPF
records for all(?) of their clients can skew the results of the
adoption roll.  Actually, the same goes for numbers 7 and 8.

More info as followup to wayne's info.  #7 is actually this:

7 171 v=spf1 +exists:CL.%{i}.FR.%{s}.HE.%{h}.null.spf.altavista.com
-all

which was added to altavista.com and a crapload of other domains. This is another example of SPF's "Xtreme Flexibility" (which I know makes some of you cringe). In our case, the domain "null.spf.altavista.com" does not exist, BUT all queries to it are logged, so I can actually tell when other MTAs "out there" are getting connections forging our unused names.

If you wanted a variation on this, something that reverts to unknown but logs when it has done so, you could do something like:

v=spf1 +a +mx +ptr +exists:CL.%{i}.FR.%{s}.HE.%{h}.null.spf.altavista.com ?all

and the DNS query log would show any cases that were not authorized.

I'm pretty sure you could do this with DMP also - just log the queries and away you go. But without a ?all or other "revert to unknown" or "soft fail" behavior, there's no real safety net for domain owners to try it out and see how it goes.

There are 204 SPF records on the adoption roll that use the exists:
mechanism with a macro variable, so a non-trivial number of domain
owners want some sort of more complex than a simple list of IP
addresses.

Some of them could be using it just for the logging like we are with altavista.com, but there are also some who have actual authorization trees that include IP or localpart, and there are also examples of "rate limiting" DNS servers that give "Allow" responses for the first dozen or hundred from the same IP, then block the unknown IP after a limit is hit (which you could do with DMP also, probably)