Re: Applying LMAP info in any context

2004-04-24 15:09:35

--Greg Connor <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org> wrote:

I still think that it's important to state one policy for both for 99% of
domains.  In other words, for MY domain, I want ALL protection available,
and I don't want to do extra steps to opt-in to MAIL FROM/HELO/Header
checks.

In case it's not clear, this means that I *disagree* strongly with Margaret (and Wayne, and Meng) on this point, though I wholeheartedly agree with all of them on many other points.

I really do NOT want to see 2821 and 2822 worked on in isolation from each other. I don't want to split up our efforts. I don't want to duplicate our work. I *certainly* don't want to end with with different mechanisms. I don't want to apply hard work to both proposals and later find one going strong and the other totally marginalized. I do not want to see "separate but equal" codified by this group.

Let's take a moment to review the charter.
      It would be useful for those maintaining domains and networks
      to be able to specify that individual hosts or nodes are authorized
      to act as MTAs for messages sent from those domains or networks.
      This working group will develop a DNS-based mechanism for
      storing and distributing information associated with that
      authorization.
      The primary current use case for this facility is to allow recipient
      MTAs to confirm that peer MTAs' actions are authorized by
      specific domains or networks.

NOTHING I have seen so far suggests that the methods used for 2821 and 2822 validation are incompatible, ESPECIALLY when we are already limiting ourselves to "a DNS-based mechanism... to specify that individual hosts or nodes are authorized to act as MTAs for messages sent from those domains or networks" Yes, there are differences here and there, but the fundamental concept is the same.

YES this will be HARD work. So let's get to it. Are people just afraid of the hard work it takes to iron out a common system? Or are we all quibbling over differences because our pet proposals work better for one thing than the other? Who can tell me a good reason why we shouldn't accept Andy's proposal and move on?

OK rant mode off... for now :)
gregc