Re: suggested new RRtype experiment

2004-05-21 10:28:16

If you'd fix your RPC-DNS gateway so that it allowed for new types, you
wouldn't have these kinds of problems and could fully enjoy this and all
other DNS efforts much easier.

It's becoming a bit clearer to me why you stick whole XML documents into
CID records anyway.

On 5/21/2004 12:08 PM, Bob Atkinson wrote:

Thank you for your kind, polite, and constructive words. Now that you've
framed your point of view in this way I value and understand it in a way
that I had heretofore not appreciated.

Please also remember that this is not simply a DNS client issue, but
also a DNS server issue: Windows DNS server lacks extensible RR type
support as well, as I have been mentioning.

      Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric A. Hall [mailto:ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 10:06 AM
To: Bob Atkinson
Cc: Arnt Gulbrandsen; Yakov Shafranovich; IETF MARID WG
Subject: Re: suggested new RRtype experiment

I have a hard time believing that your network can't support:

 routers
 firwalls
 print servers
 macs
 *nix

or any other system/device that speaks regular DNS over UDP 53.

If your network is really that borked then I'm not sure its worth
considering as a mainstream dependancy. It sounds like you guys have
chosen to effectively disable DNS, which means that we're talking

about

site-specific architecture issues.

--
Eric A. Hall