Re: MTAmark (was: Reality check please)

2004-06-11 12:20:22

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 01:04:22PM -0500, wayne wrote:
Since
the interim meeting, all 2821 proposals are now out of scope.

Ah. Says who?
I can only see a single pointer to that mentioned in the minutes
of the interim meeting:
*> Andy asked the room if they found the converged plan valuable and
*> wise use of time and received a loud hum.
This was about the convergence of CID and SPF. I can see no mention
in the minutes nor a statement on the list that the WG has set the
goal to publish a standard along the lines of CID/SPF merge.

I can't see that any verification has taken place in this mailing list
which would be required by RFC 2418 / 3.3. Session management.

But I don't think I care any longer, it is of no use to beat a dead
horse. As I said before this WG has lost contact to reality and
timely deployment if the goal is SPG/CID merge with XML in DNS.

We had the day before yesterday (yesterday was public holiday here so
lesser emails than usual) on a /medium (to some smaller) sized/ MTA:
    499078 non bounce messages
     40885 unique sender domain.
Quite some of them are mailing lists and forwards, but if MARID goes
2822 checks the number of unique sender domains probably doubles.
Did anybody seriously think about the time delay, bandwidth increase,
memory increase in the caches and load increase on the auth servers
this will result in? Queries for the MARID records and queries for the
"includes" and queries for the reputation and accreditation services
which have to some degree be serialized (can't query reputation and
accreditation services before the MARID records are queried in depth)
and all will be useless as not more than 10% of all existing domains
will deploy MARID within the next 5 years. Ok, make it 50% and it
doesn't change a thing. Because of a 50:50 chance no one will reject
messages. Oh and about preventing phishing "because we authorize with
MARID records and have authentication" read
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2004/03/23.html

I don't think Markus was at the meeting,

Neither me privately not my employer were willing to pay the 2000 or so
bucks for travelling across half of the world to attend a one day meeting.

but PHB was, so I'm surprised
he is posting this out of scope stuff.

Unless there is a clear and agreed upon scope different from the charter
for this WG posted here and official announced, postings like this of
PHB are hardly out of scope.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299