Re: MTAmark (was: Reality check please)

2004-06-14 16:23:16

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 02:34:44PM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
There are plenty of sites that now accept mail from AOL as genuine
because the IP address is correct. Otherwise it goes into the spam
filter with a huge penalty attached.

Wrong strategy.

I don't want my mailserver to take over responsibility for spam mails.
And I don't want my users/employees to take over responsibility and have
them stolen their time and my money (as employer) having them wade around
in spam mail folders sorting out false positives.

Spam ist a problem of the sender. Leave it up to the sender to fix and
handle the problem and do not allow the sender to shift the problem to
your side, the recipient.
Because of that don't accept the message the first place.

We run a very facistic DNSBL. A host sends spam, he gets listed. No
expire. Sometimes (very rarely) someone comes whining "but we have fixed
the problem 1 year ago". So what? They harassed me and my users. They
had a problem, I fixed it for me. It's not my job to trigger them
permanently and ask if the problem is fixed to remove them.
They had a problem, so it's their task to talk to the hosts they
harassed, make an excuse and get accreditation to send eMails again.

It is always the problem of the sender, don't shift it to the receiver.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299