Re: Alternative to TXT or new RR

2004-06-16 11:01:51

Douglas Otis writes:
I doubt that such a mechanism would be able to block mail. The best that could be expected would be to mark mail. (The open list issue.)

Same as for SPF/CID, as far as I can tell. It all depends on which domain you choose to look up. The "_whatever." prefix doesn't matter, and neither does whether you interpret the resulting RRset yourself or perform an RPC.

The next problem would be DoS. Can this be done using UDP?

Sure. You can DoS name servers easily, and you can DoS other UDP-using servers in exactly the same way(s).

As this gets implemented, will these systems see mail rejected because their service approval service fails?

They might, but since DNS is subject to the same attack, it should be no more and no less susceptible than SPF/CID.

(DNS caches, but that doesn't mean anything for a DoS attack. The attacker will not want to cache.)

Arnt