Re: Alternative to TXT or new RR

2004-06-16 13:07:39

duple (and anything else?) to some service providing reputation and/or
authorisation. Well, actually, here MARID is reduced to (at most) a way
of discovering the service.

All very interesting -  in scope? I dunno.

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/marid-charter.html

[snip]
| DNS-based mechanism for storing and
| distributing information associated with that authorization.
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Charter does not say that scope is specifically associated with the
explicit authorization data itself.

Nor does it say that all processing must be receiver-side.

No, you're quite right, but while a minimal MARID may still be in scope,
"no MARID" probably isn't :-)

Realistically, there are only 3 places that processing can take place,
domain-owner (publisher), receiver, third party. Who should pay the
processing penalty? Who gets the benefit?

I suspect that the momentum is too much to do anything with the brakes in
the time available. I wouldn't be surprised if work on reputation services
brings us back this way.