Re: Drive Towards Consensus [was Re: On Extensibility in MARID Re cords]

2004-06-21 16:37:30

On Jun 21, 2004, at 4:32 PM, Mark Lentczner wrote:

1) Margaret Olson's examples
Alas, these examples didn't actually state what aspect SPF couldn't handle. I don't know if the desire is to have mail rate information in SPF, or reputation information or what. As a part of the system, SPF seems to me to work in all the examples given.

Yes, the desire is to have mail rate information in the MARID record. I apologize for not being clearer about that. Several people have noticed that you don't necessarily trust the record author - but that is why you accredit both the sender and any channels used with indirect pointers. The rate at which a domain sends mail is an important piece of the risk assessment puzzle - should I accept this mail or not? If I know that you send at a rate that is inconsistent with spamming or if you have a very thorough, audit driven accreditation, then I'll accept your mail.

There are many ways in which I can envision transmitting and enforcing rate information; my examples were intended simply to illustrate the problem.

MARID on it's own doesn't do very much; it just says that the domain is authorized to send mail via these MTAs. It is essential for a broader solution to the spam and phishing problems but not sufficient. Phill Hallam-Baker and Jim Lyons have made other suggestions for how we might incorporate the reputation, accreditation, signature, and other information that is necessary. I don't think any of us have the complete answer yet but these things are emerging. The will be tied to the authentication. We need to be able to accommodate the additional information, even though we don't have it completely designed at this moment in time. We know it is out there.

2) Jim Lyon's examples
These examples focused on assignment of reputation, and how that might depend on the route the mail takes, or even perhaps on different mailbox names within a domain. I contend that these are issues for the reputation systems. All SPF does is authenticate that the domain believes that it's mail could have traveled via a particular MTA. If that check passes, normally, one just feeds the domain name into a reputation system (such as white or black lists.) If there is need for finer grained reputation, then it is up to some reputation service to offer better assessments based on more information. Nothing in any of the proposals tells clients how they should assess reputation. If it is argued that domain name based reputation will be the only de facto available option, then I submit it isn't too hard for large entities to use multiple mail sub-domains:
    jane_doe(_at_)example(_dot_)com - mail from real people
    news(_at_)support(_dot_)example(_dot_)com - mail from opt-in newsletters
    coolOffer(_at_)ads(_dot_)example(_dot_)com - unsolicited advertisement

Creating sub-domains to make up for a syntax limitation doesn't make any sense to me.

3) Phillip Hallam-Baker's examples
These examples are a clear extension into other approaches. None of these examples has anything to do with domain authentication of an IP. To quote Phillip about such extensions: "...the number of degree of freedom are huge". To this end, these examples beg for something much larger than the part of the problem the current projects ever set out to handle.

I understand the desire to design a more comprehensive mail policy format. And I understand the desire that such a format be extensible for future approaches that are now only contemplated. However, the proposed XML syntax doesn't achieve this either: While it is true that XML provides a much richer syntactic framework in which to extend an original document format, it says nothing about the semantic meaning of such extensions.

As Jim Lyons stated elsewhere in this thread, you need to stick to upwards compatible extensions. In practical terms, this means you can add information but you can't change the definition of existing information. The XML syntax handles this well. I agree that no amount of syntax will paper over the problems inherent in an extension that changes the meaning of existing published records.

Margaret.
molson(_at_)constantcontact(_dot_)com
margaret(_at_)margaretolson(_dot_)com