Re: Unified SPF: block versus factored records for HELO and MTAMAarkscopes

2004-06-24 12:56:52

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 05:53:46PM +0200, Roy Badami wrote:

| But, AIUI, CSV in it's current incarnation involves doing an SRV
| lookup on the domain name; how is this more heavyweight than doing a
| TXT lookup.  CSV looks just as cacheable to me as SPF, but uses more
| compact records...

OK, if CSV's authentication procedure is "does an A lookup
on the HELO name describe the client IP" then yes, it is
just as cacheable.

If an ISP wants to set a policy where it always says

  HELO isp.com

instead of

  HELO mx-1.isp.com
  HELO mx-2.isp.com
  HELO mx-3.isp.com

then the CSV authentication procedure may not be sufficient.