CVS specifics: Accreditation

2004-06-25 19:56:14

Dave,

I am currently looking at the CVS (and DNS and CSA) drafts.

Please correct any misunderstanding I may have.  I'm sure I did not cover
everything so I only have a few comments at this point.

The main one that jumps out is this Accreditation Concept.

The positive design I see is that you generalized it with a suggested
format.  This is good.  As with the reputation (RBL) designs currently in
place, it has a standard response concept allowing for a standard
implementation and more importantly allowing customers/operators to chose
their favorite RBL systems.

The negative is that acceditation server bureaus will be limited, at first,
and most likely exclusive to specific group of organizations or type of
systems.   In the overview, it says "chosen"

   3.  Query a chosen Accreditation Service for the EHLO domain name
       (see Domain Name Accreditation (DNA) [ID-Marid-CSVDNA])

Based on what I am seeing in the market place, infopreneurs are making these
fee based systems. As I read some of the policies at some of these sites,
lookups are free, but membership is fee based.  Not a problem, but unless
someone champions and puts up free DNA site, it seems the CSV idea will be
somewhat crippled which means it only be implemented as part of a total
suite of other transaction management technologies.  In short, there will
probably need to be more than a list of acceditation sites to lookup to make
it more effective for operators.

I guess, if we implemented CVS with some initial supportive DNA sites, we
would be able to help promote this sites and even encourage membership.
But I do see a need to offer more than one site, if only because one site is
"less" expensive than the other.

Currently we allow a unlimited list of RBL sites to lookup.  By default, out
of the box, the top 3 (most popular) are provided.

Which brings me to another related note:

RBL is one area of optimization I would like to improve upon as it
represents a high percentage of the total validation transaction time.   If
you agree a list of acceditation sites is needed, then this needs to be
optimized as well.

Thanks

http://www.santronics.com