Re: MTAs should focus on email TRANSPORT not email CONTENT

2004-07-19 23:55:18

Jim,

JL> The mis-named "MAIL FROM:" doesn't tell you who sent the message, but
JL> who wants to receive the bounce if any.  Much confusion would have been
JL> avoided if the 2821 command were spelled "MAIL BOUNCETO:".  Many people,
JL> including me, have gone down the path of erroneously trying to use "MAIL
JL> FROM:" for authentication.

given that the misnomer dates back to rfc 821, it's rather impressive
that it took more than 20 years for us to notice the error!

in an odd way, this highlights the difficulty of preventing scaling
problems.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>