Re: DEPLOY/IPR: Fundamental Disagreements, or Get On With It

2004-08-25 15:04:17

At 11:06 PM +0200 8/25/04, Koen Martens wrote:
On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:35:41AM -0700, Ryan Ordway wrote:
        Perhaps a show of hands is in order to see just
 how much of a "minority" those who disapprove of the terms
 of the RFSIPL are? Consider my hand raised.

FWIW, my hand is raised. I oppose against an internet standard that requires a
contract with microsoft to implement.

An important part of the IETF process is that we treat all of its participants
as behaving in good faith.  If the license terms offered cause difficulties
for you, please state how the terms impact your development and deployment.
(Eric's description of the sublicensing issue for Sendmail is a good example
here, and I encourage you to read it as a potential model).

Stating that the _holder_ of the IPR is the problem, rather than the _terms_
of the license, is very different.  That is contrary to the principle that we
treat all participants as behaving in good faith.  Please focus on the terms,
not the holder.
                regards,
                                Ted Hardie