Re: DEPLOY: Over-running TXT dataspace in FQDN (-protocol I believe)

2004-08-26 07:19:38

On Thursday 26 August 2004 8:12 am, Jim Fenton wrote:
Can anyone
clear up whether adding the prefix breaks wildcards, or were they already
broken?

Since I don't know what you mean by "broken", I can't comment to whether or
not wildcards are "already broken".  BUT,  if you publish:

  *.example.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 ..."
  *.example.com. IN TXT"spf2.0/pra ..."

Then, if a query for "host.example.com IN TXT" would match the wildcard, the a
query for "_marid.host.example.com IN TXT" would ALSO match the wildcard.

So, the problem isn't that wildcards and marid records don't work, it is just
that when using wildcards, the _marid prefix no longer gets you *just* the
spf2.0/pra record.  I.e. the current status quo.

--
David Blacka    <davidb(_at_)verisignlabs(_dot_)com>
Sr. Engineer    VeriSign Applied Research