Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-26 07:32:40

Margaret Olson wrote:
On Aug 26, 2004, at 8:26 AM, wayne wrote:
In <C6DDA43B91BFDA49AA2F1E473732113E010BEAD2(_at_)mou1wnexm05(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com > "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

If not, wouldn't this mean that users of qmail that want to support
SenderID (which we hope will be all of them) need to get a license
from Microsoft?

Or an alternative MTA :-)

Is your goal in supporting the SenderID license to get people to use
"an alternative MTA", say the one that Harry and Jim work on?

Wayne and others.
I largely agree with Phill, but let me try to present the issue a slightly different way. I use several MTA implementations, both commercial and open source. I've concluded that the current license will allow me to continue to have a good selection of open source and commercial choices with Sender ID implementations. Open source is open source - Sender ID is sufficiently valuable that I'm convinced that viable Sender ID variants will emerge, even if they are not distributed in quite the same way that the code is today. Both Eric Allman and Phill have discussed ways to approach this problem. I am speaking as someone who intends to implement receive side Sender ID as soon as possible.

The problem is not limited to open source or commercial. The main issue at hand is whether this specific license would be detrimental to deployment at large of this standard (in my personal opinion, the main place where this issue will come to play out is not the main open source and commercial email applications, but rather within ISPs and small companies that want to implement this in-house).

The question we should be asking is whether this specific license will be detrimental to deployment of Sender-ID at large. While you argue that alternatives will emerge, others including potential implementors have made points as to why this license may scare away potential implementors. The problem is that we really don't know until the standard is approved which makes it kind of a catch-22.

I have also had the impression that some folks on the list are expecting Microsoft to give them what amounts to legal advice. A lawyer representing me, being paid by me, can't give you legal advice about how to deal with me - there is a conflict of interest. So where Microsoft does provide clarifications or suggestions it will be caveated it left and right with "consult your own lawyer" just to make sure you are not confused about whose interests are being represented. This is how the legal system works; it's not some sort of Microsoft conspiracy to make everyone waste money on legal advice.

In the spirit of frugality, I applaud Wayne's contacting of Eben Moglen. It's always a good idea to avoid paying a lawyer (or anyone else, for that matter) to come up to speed on a particular subject.

In the context of the original question that is posted - how will this affect deployment, the lawyer issue is rather important. If a signficant number of potential implementors will not want to implement Sender-ID because they are unsure about what they are signing and cannot afford a lawyer, it will be detrimental to the overall success of the standard.

Yakov