Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-26 05:27:37

In
<C6DDA43B91BFDA49AA2F1E473732113E010BEAD2(_at_)mou1wnexm05(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com>
 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

If not, wouldn't this mean that users of qmail that want to support
SenderID (which we hope will be all of them) need to get a license
from Microsoft?

Or an alternative MTA :-)

I'm not sure that is really a joking matter.  We aren't supposed to
talk about "hidden agendas", but since you raised the issue, I'll ask
directly:

Is your goal in supporting the SenderID license to get people to use
"an alternative MTA", say the one that Harry and Jim work on?

If I had to patch Qmail the way I would do it is as follows:

[ideas snipped]

Your scheme does not match the design of qmail.  What you are
suggesting is a major rewrite of the qmail MTA.

One of the reasons for using the PRA is the claim that it would be
easier to support than SPF-classic and SRS.  However, there have long
been patches for qmail to do SPF-classic and SRS, but now you are
claiming that the way to do PRA is to do a major rewrite of one of the
most popular MTAs on the Internet.

-wayne