Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-26 06:38:57

On Aug 26, 2004, at 8:26 AM, wayne wrote:

In <C6DDA43B91BFDA49AA2F1E473732113E010BEAD2(_at_)mou1wnexm05(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com > "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

If not, wouldn't this mean that users of qmail that want to support
SenderID (which we hope will be all of them) need to get a license
from Microsoft?

Or an alternative MTA :-)

Is your goal in supporting the SenderID license to get people to use
"an alternative MTA", say the one that Harry and Jim work on?

Wayne and others.
I largely agree with Phill, but let me try to present the issue a slightly different way. I use several MTA implementations, both commercial and open source. I've concluded that the current license will allow me to continue to have a good selection of open source and commercial choices with Sender ID implementations. Open source is open source - Sender ID is sufficiently valuable that I'm convinced that viable Sender ID variants will emerge, even if they are not distributed in quite the same way that the code is today. Both Eric Allman and Phill have discussed ways to approach this problem. I am speaking as someone who intends to implement receive side Sender ID as soon as possible.

So while the license is less than ideal, it's sufficient. It is also fundamentally defensive, and anyone with significant assets contemplating donating IPR has to concern themselves with the defensive legal issues. The fundamental goal is to make sure you can use your own IPR after you have donated it, which is otherwise not assured. I would not like to see contributions to the IETF limited to individuals and corporations who are not successful enough to have this kind of legal concern. For one thing, it would rule out all organizations with significant R&D budgets. Followed to it's logical conclusion, this approach to license requirements give us problems even with open source donations, since some of the open source licenses are mutually incompatible.

I have also had the impression that some folks on the list are expecting Microsoft to give them what amounts to legal advice. A lawyer representing me, being paid by me, can't give you legal advice about how to deal with me - there is a conflict of interest. So where Microsoft does provide clarifications or suggestions it will be caveated it left and right with "consult your own lawyer" just to make sure you are not confused about whose interests are being represented. This is how the legal system works; it's not some sort of Microsoft conspiracy to make everyone waste money on legal advice.

In the spirit of frugality, I applaud Wayne's contacting of Eben Moglen. It's always a good idea to avoid paying a lawyer (or anyone else, for that matter) to come up to speed on a particular subject.

Margaret.