RE: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-26 11:08:31

I have also had the impression that some folks on the list are
expecting Microsoft to give them what amounts to legal
advice.

Your missing an important point:

Some folks on the list asked for clarification of the license.  Harry then
referred them to consult
with the MS lawyers (as opposed to answering the questions himself).

Being told to "go ask my lawyer"  is fundamentally different then "expecting
legal advice from
Microsoft".

A lawyer representing me, being paid by me, can't give you legal advice about
how to deal with me - there is a conflict of interest.
AGREED!

That's why Harry should have answered the questions himself, or with a response
from his lawyers.
Instead he opted to say "go ask my companies lawyers.  I don't think that was
an acceptable
response, if for no other reason then the LAWYERS are not list members, and
HARRY is.

So where
Microsoft  does provide clarifications or suggestions it will be
caveated it left and right with "consult your own lawyer"
just to make
sure you are not confused about whose interests are being
represented.

AGREED.  Again a point to why HARRY should answer the questions asked of him,
and/or produce a
license which is more concise.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085