Re: DEPLOY: Microsoft Royalty Free Sender ID Patent License FAQ

2004-08-26 11:14:01

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 06:38, Margaret Olson wrote:

So while the license is less than ideal, it's sufficient. It is also
fundamentally defensive, and anyone with significant assets
contemplating donating IPR has to concern themselves with the defensive
legal issues. The fundamental goal is to make sure you can use your own
IPR after you have donated it, which is otherwise not assured. I would
not like to see contributions to the IETF limited to individuals and
corporations who are not successful enough to have this kind of legal
concern. For one thing, it would rule out all organizations with
significant R&D budgets.

        If this was the extent of the license, I would agree with
you Margaret. I have no problems with Microsoft protecting themselves.
I have problems with Microsoft attempting to prevent competitors,
both commercial and open source, from being able to implement
Internet standards without tying themselves to Microsoft.

        Ryan
--
HELO, my name is root... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!