Re: DEPLOY: Over-running TXT dataspace in FQDN (-protocol I believe)

2004-08-31 13:49:23

Re-reading this thread, looking for common ground, I see

1) There is near universal agreement that domains will still want to publish records about the 2821 Mail From identity.

2) There is still concern on where the TXT records should be published: Either at something like _pra._marid.example.com vs. at example.com itself.

3) It has been shown that even if records go into sub-domains, due to the way DNS wildcards work, records still need to be distinguishable based solely on their content, not their location.

Therefore, I suggest that we adopt the scheme I labeled (3a):

3a) Put scopes in the <ver-ext> field
Proposed by Wayne in http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg03441.html This scheme replaces the "/pra" and <ver-ext> field in the version string with a list of scopes. For example: "spf2.0/pra,mailfrom" or "spf2.0/mailfrom". It applies to the whole record, so it only helps domains with very large records if their v=spf1 and spf2.0/pra records are otherwise the same. If the above two large records were the same, this would look like:

example.com. IN TXT "spf2.0/pra,mailfrom ... some very long record here ..."

The only counter to this scheme (other than some preference for the others) was that it would require existing v=spf1 domains to re-publish. I don't beleive this would be the case:: All existing SPF implementations are likely to accept v=spf1 for quite some time, if not forever. And, because it is also likely that all existing SPF implementations would be rev'd quickly[1] to support spf2.0/mailfrom, then new sites can simply publish the new version.

        - Mark

[1]: There aren't that many existing implementations, and everyone running one knows that they are running less than 1.0 code and generally is keeping an eye on updates.