Re: Unencumbered Checking (was Re: DEPLOY: SPF/Sender ID support in Courier)

2004-08-31 10:58:25

Paul Iadonisi wrote:

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 12:22, Markus Stumpf wrote:

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 10:26:18AM -0500, wayne wrote:

While those are the claimed reasons, I think it is quite clear from
talking to quite a few people involved with this working group that
the REAL reason is:
* People want MS on board because it would *really* help deployment
 and MS *really* wants their PRA algorithm.

Why will that help deployment?
The latest surveys state that MS SMTP servers have less than 10%
market share.
I'd say having sendmail + qmail + postfix + exim will help more than
having MS on board for whatever solution.

  I made this point a while ago on the spf-discuss list.  While it would
be nice to have Microsoft on board, they do *not* have the lion's share
of the installed base of internet facing SMTP servers.  That's where
most of implementation of these standards will take place.
  I would be quite disappointing if this draft was pushed through with
the current patent license because someone thought 'we need Microsoft'. Even if we did, shunning this license does not have to mean pushing
Microsoft out, so to me, it would make no sense to push this through
just because someone thinks we need Microsoft.

We had this argument in the ASRG as well until some pointed out that the PRA algorithm works in MUA. The market share on Microsoft MUAs is over 70%.

Yakov