Re: TECH-ERROR: SenderID sets recomendation for forwarders that are not compatible with RFC 2822

2004-09-13 04:42:41

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:33 +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:

The 'for' clause indicates recipients, while a new clause would indicate
the purported _sender_ for the hop in question. It would be 'on behalf
of' or something similar.

The Received: field is created at the wrong time for that information to
be included, unless each hop adds both an incoming Received: field (like
the current one) and an outgoing field for recording the submitter.

That's true. So perhaps the Received: header isn't the right place for
such information -- but certainly the Resent-From: header isn't the
right place for it either. Then we should add a new header for the
purpose.

An alternative would be to provide the selected address to the next hop
by means of an extension such as 'SUBMITTER-RFC2822' which gets logged
in the _next_ Received: header. I don't like that much -- defining a new
header makes more sense.

--
dwmw2