Re: TECH-ERROR: SenderID sets recomendation for forwarders that are not compatible with RFC 2822

2004-09-16 03:12:21

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Frank Ellermann wrote:

That covers MIME types like message/rfc822, multipart/digest,
or maybe the proposed application/mbox, where original mails
are "forwarded" as part of the body, as complete as possible.

It's not exactly the sense of "forward" in Outlook, which is
IMHO no "forward" at all.  And that might be the explanation
for the Resent-* headers:

These headers already existed before MIME, in RfC 822.  So my
guess is that they were used in situations where today anybody
(minus Outlook and pre-MIME MUAs) uses message/rfc822:

Are you saying use of these headers is supposed to have been
depreciated by now and that they carry mostly historic meaning?

Maybe it's just a case of RfC 2822 trying to fix something in
Std  11, and the result is not always clearer than the original
text.  We have the author of RfC 822 here, he won't let us
stray too far away from the real meaning of Resent-* headers.

Ok. Can we then have author of RFC822 comment if use of Resent-From
header is appropriate per STD11 for cases of Mail List and different
types of forwarders as is being recomendated in marid-core? And then
comment if RFC2822 was supposed to change original STD11 in case of
the Resent-??? headers or not.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks