Re: TECH-ERROR: SenderID sets recomendation for forwarders that are not compatible with RFC 2822

2004-09-18 07:51:21

On 9/17/04 at 5:03 PM -0700, Bill McQuillan wrote:

On Fri, 2004-09-17, william(at)elan.net wrote:

I'm reading Pete's answer right, then adding Resent-From is ok in some forwarding cases but not in others and that in particular:

Let's be careful here about "ok" and "not ok". I'd say "intended for". Standards are supposed to be more descriptive than prescriptive of use.

1. Its not ok with .forward forwarding (specifically mentioned). This is very very common in the deployed base.

I think it would match the semantics more if the MAIL FROM was not preserved. The current deployment of .forward I agree doesn't match the semantics of 2822. But that deployment could be changed.

2. Its not ok with any forwarding where RFC2821 Mail From remains the same as it was before forwarding (most of the forwarding systems deployed on the net are like this)

Again, they don't have to be deployed that way. And there might be a good argument for them not to be: If there is an error getting the mail to beyond the forwarder, should that really be reported back to the original sender? Maybe, maybe not.

  3. Its not ok if message is changed (this would include Mail Lists).

It has not traditionally been used with mailing lists because mailing lists act more like gateways than simple resenders. (That includes, but is not limited to, changing the message headers.) I'd prefer to use a different mechanism for mailing lists (like the List-* fields: perhaps a List-ID could be used if it followed the domain convention).

I'm sorry. I must be dense. When *IS* it OK to use Resent-From?
What is it intended to mean?

It means, "The person in the Resent-From/Resent-Sender of this message received this message and redirected it to you. You should treat the message as if it went from the original sender directly to you." The Resent-* fields give you information about the resending event. Several MUAs have resend or redirect commands. The Resent-* fields are to be used when that function is executed.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102