Re: SPF PASS (was: "If you believe that the SPF concept is fundam entally flawed, please subscribe at http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/")

2005-05-26 07:43:28

On May 26, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Sukhenko, Alex wrote:

valuable reverse MX records which cover well over 95% of
the email traffic on the internet today.

Is that a guess ?  95% is a rather high number.

OK, 85%. Is that better? Still beats the 80/20 rule easily. How much
mail is not sent directly from the sending ISP to the destination ISP.
For AOL it is a small number.

So why aren't more people publishing very assertive SPF records ending in -all and why aren't more people only accepting mail that has a PASS?

Like Carl, I use SPF but not in the manner prescribed by the SPF documents. I think there would be fewer detractors of SPF if more emphasis were placed on the "Framework" portion of the spec. That's not to say that the work currently underway by Wayne is unimportant.

-andy