Re: Philosophical discussions

2005-06-09 10:31:57

Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> wrote:
Even in that simple and normal case I have a chance to get it
wrong, secondary MX forwards to primary MX, primary MX tests
SPF, FAIL => your sender policy does of course not permit the
IP of my secondary MX, I forgot to white list this beast.

That's not necessarily "internal",

  It's internal to the trust boundary of your domain.  I have no way
of knowing that it's a secondary, and you do.

"Philosophical discussions" about design flaws 16 years after
the fact are difficult - with Wayne's time machine I wouldn't
editors.  With a loaded gun... ;-)

  The purpose of philosophical discussions are to obtain a common
agreement as to the intent of the system.  If no one can agree on
*why* the system exists, or *what* it's supposed to be doing, then
talking about *how* is a waste of time.

  But the discussions I've seen have focussed on "how", and have
steadfastly avoided the "why".  The existence proof of the email
system is nice, but a collection of patches over time can result in a
system that no one intended to build.  Proof: the spam problem.

  Alan DeKok.