Re: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-01.txt

2005-06-07 09:02:15

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Alan DeKok wrote:

Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com> wrote:
I would like to be able to say
publicly that any message not from me, using mailboxes at my domain,
is forged.

And just what benefit is there to being able to do this?

  I thought I had explained.  What part of my message was unclear?

Alan, you've been subjected to significant mail abuse in the past. I
understand that you'd like to prevent mail abuse.  But this abuse isn't
spam,

  You've been saying that for a number of years now, and during that
time, have had access to zero pieces of data from my domain.

Partly true. I have seen your mail statistics that you posted to the
freeradius list. However, you did not take me up on my offer to assist you
with those attacks, which included setting up an MX forwarder to screen
(and analyze) abuse.

  I've had others[1] look at the evidence, and I've looked at it
myself.  No one agrees with your assertions.

  Not one.

Its not credible to claim that a 10Mbs ethernet connection would be
saturated with email (as you reported), to a one-person domain, and that
this volume not be abuse.

Its a common pattern of mailbombing.

  Your position is based on something called "faith", not "reality".

I think your position is based on something called "willful exaggeration"
and its a well documented problem amoung anti-spam zealots.

I know some of the "experts" that looked at your abuse, and they have been
known previously to be anti-spam zealots, one of which is known to
conducted (or supported) abuse of our relays.

                --Dean

617 344 9000