Re: Armour

1997-11-24 04:03:02

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Dave Crocker / IMC wrote:

At 05:29 AM 11/24/97 +1100, David Formosa wrote:
And consider all the aplications that have been built ontop of PGP.

well, we really are re-cycling arguments.  this one is the compatibility
issue again.

It however is a diffrent compatibility argument.  There is in my view two
groups of appiliactions that we should try and retain compatabilty unless
there is a very good resons against.

The first group is the pgp[2|5] programs themselfs propper,  this has been
already meantioned often and there is nothing orginal in this argument.

The second group is all the scrips, hacks, glue and basic applications of
cyrto wich works with pgp[2|5].  These things tend to use pgp as a tool
rather then aplication all by itself.  Meany of these things don't have
(or would be inapproprate to a have) Mime capatability but have a sence of
asscii armor.  I would not like to see these things broken for the sake of
computaional estitics.

[...]

2.  Installed base compatibility

    It has been observed a number of times that that is already lost for
other reasons, so use of MIME rather than Armour does not create a new
problem.

The second population will have problems if Ascii armour is removed, in
addtion as the backwards compatiblity will be only lost for a subsection
of the population (thouse covered by verious patents) why brake it for
everybody else?

[...]

    The need to document prior use is well served by having an appendix
which describes how to do armouring, for implementations needing to
interwork with pre-standards implementation.

However it is clear that most implementaitons will need to interwork with
the pre-standards indeed it should be a SHOULD.

[...]

    The argument that it is acceptable to require both or make both
optional misunderstand the additional overhead caused by requiring
redundant mechanisms or the difficulty achieving interworking when
everything is optional.

Of cause but interworking is not going to happen unless we have
interopablity with the old code base.

- --
Please excuse my spelling as I suffer from agraphia see the url in my header.
Never trust a country with more peaple then sheep.  ex-net.scum and proud
You Say To People "Throw Off Your Chains" And They Make New Chains For
Themselves? --Terry Pratchett.  I do not reply to munged addresses.