Re: Key Extraction odd behavior ???

1998-01-01 11:38:10

Hi!

Version Number is defined for Signature Packets (Type 2) and not for
Signatuer Subpacket (Type 14).

It is not a signature packet (typ 2). In teh OpenPGP draft you find:
5.5.1.2 Public Subkey Packte (Tag 14):

"A Public Subkey packet (tag 14) has exactly the same format as a Public
Key packet, but denotes a subkey"

The Public Key Packet (Tag 6): "starts a series of packets that forms an
OP key".

(I think in the specs in chapter 5.5.1.1 should be a forward reference to
the chapter 5.5.2)

Some lines later in 5.5.2 "Public Key Packet Formats":
"There are two versions of key-material packets. Version 3..."

The next octet is 0x34 what is that?? It doesn't match as a signature type
nor does it match for a signatuer subpacket type.

The version 4 packet contains:
" - A one-octed version number (4).
  - A four-octet number denoting the time that the key was created.
"

[B9] [04 0D] 04 34 A3 DF 8E ...

so 34 A3 DF 8E
is the time the key was created. (I think late in 1997, not exactly
calculated)

Also in the spec it does not define exactly which bits from a subpacket
type octet are to be used for determining the value? Bit 7 is defined as a
critical flag so do we use the remaining 6-0 bits or a subset of that?

I could not find an exact definition. The last 5 Bits (Bits 4-0) must be
for the type, Bit 7 is the critical Bit. So there are still Bit 5 and 6
left.  Maybe they will become some special meaning in the future, maybe
they are just used for furthter packages...

Cheers, Patrick

- ---
 PGP-KeyID: DD934139 (pafei(_at_)rubin(_dot_)ch)    encrypt mail with PGP if
possible
 more about PGP on http://www.rubin.ch/pgp/ (english and german)