Re: Proposal for new Attribute packet

1998-03-10 14:54:29
In <9803101816(_dot_)AA17326(_at_)parrot>, on 03/10/98
   at 01:15 PM, Jack Repenning <jackr(_at_)informix(_dot_)com> said:

I'm not sure this addresses the use Hal had in mind.  An implication of
allowing an attribute packet "wherever a userid packet may be" is that it
can be signed by another party.  I imagine the UI he has in mind would
allow this other party to add the attribute, rather than (or, "in
addition to") the key owner doing so.  The end goal is (I think) the
ability to express the meaning of your signature ... "I certify this key
for business purposes, but I wouldn't trust this blighter with the
personal secrets of a snail."

You might do this with additional UserIDs, but only if you allow them to
be added by non-owners (a capability recently retracted by PGPInc
implementations); you also would have some conflict over whether to match
values in the attributes when searching for a key.

At least, I think that's the sort of thing he was getting at.  Perhaps a
bit more info about intended use, and structure of the packet to support
it, would be in order.

I'm not sure I like this at all. It is one thing to allow 3rd parties to
attach their verification of the userID of a key. It is quite another
thing to allow then to add any information they wanted to. There are quite
a few nasty and malicious people out there and I for one would not support
letting them have the ability to add extra information of any kind to my
public keys.

The more I think about this the less I like it. Seems to be opening a real
can of worms.

William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/esecure.html

Tag-O-Matic: You said Windows was a Power Tool???