Re: Notation subpacket lengths

1998-05-28 12:29:19
On Thu, 28 May 1998, Jon Callas wrote:

It's an excellent suggestion. Until a draft or so ago, the total length of
all subpackets was a two-octet length, so there was no reason for the
fields here to be longer. Now that the subpacket region can be 4 gig in
size, this should be expanded. Future generations will thank us.

Where is the message ammending 5.2.3 which states the v4 Sig packet
contains:

     - Two-octet scalar octet count for following hashed subpacket
       data.

     - Hashed subpacket data. (zero or more subpackets)

     - Two-octet scalar octet count for following unhashed subpacket
       data.

     - Unhashed subpacket data. (zero or more subpackets)

Unless I missed something, the hashed can be 64K-1, and unhashed the same.
Note that if you alter this scheme you will break all pgp 5.0 v4 key
signatures.

But to Vinnie Moscaritolo's point - I emailed him that if there is a lot
of data, it should be *OUTSIDE* the signature packet, possibly within a
literal packet, so it can be as long or as short and use any (internal)
format it wants.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---