Deprecating old keys (was Re: meeting in San Francisco?)

2003-03-05 20:26:07

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 06:07:28PM -0800, Jon Callas wrote:

The easiest of all (assuming that there's WG agreement) is
deprecating old keys. Get rough consensus, and it's about a
half-hour work from me.

While I have frequently complained to myself about some odd corner
case involving v3 keys, and life would undoubtedly be simpler without
them, I do wonder what practical difference deprecating v3 keys would
have.

GnuPG already refuses to generate new v3 keys, and PGP asks the user
to reconsider before making one.  I doubt any OpenPGP program could
stop supporting existing v3 keys any time soon.  Last I looked, over
90% of the keys on the public keyservers were v4.  I think the natural
evolution of OpenPGP has already deprecated v3 keys for us..

David