Re: meeting in San Francisco?

2003-03-06 15:42:13

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Jon Callas wrote:

It is my opinion that deprecating IDEA (which I would be happy to do) is
about the same as deprecating V3 keys.

Agreed.

The reason I say that is that the only reason for a V3 key is to
interoperate with PGP 2.6. PGP 2.6 has only IDEA.

Deprecating IDEA deprecates PGP 2.6, and that makes V3 keys unnecessary.

Personally, I'd love to deprecate PGP 2.6. Almost all the interoperability
problems we have revolve around it.

I fully agree with Jon. As long as v3 is in the spec, expect to see new
implementations including it. There needs to be very strong language in
the spec that says v3 should not be implemented any further. Or, remove it
from the spec entirely and make it its own document.

I think it was a mistake from the start to offer v3 - v4 interoperability.
It's now time to kill v3 and eliminate a large body of interop problems.