Re: [Sam Hartman] Openpgp comments

2006-09-20 06:25:53

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:40, Anton Stiglic said:

NIST is planning to phase out SHA-1 by 2010, they are going with SHA-224,
SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512.
http://csrc.nist.gov/hash_standards_comments.pdf

In Canada, CSE will phase out SHA-1 for protected C information by 2008.

A note to describe why we use SHA-1 with the MDC would really be
appropriate.  We are not using it for authentication but to detect
manipulation of data.  This is commonly known as a checksum.  Thus,
the acronym MDC and not MAC.  To me detection and authentication have
different semantics.

It has been said a few times: The MDC is not what we need to care
about when thinking of SHA-1 vulnerabilities.  There are other usages
of SHA-1 we need to rethink.

Over the last 8 years since rfc2440 we have talked several times about
things we want to address in the future.  There is actually a long
list.  We can't keep important OpenPGP features - which address actual
vulnerabilities - any longer in an I-D state just for the sake of
getting rid of SHA-1 now.  We need time to address all these items
properly and not do some ad-hoc solutions.  In the meantime 2440bis
needs to get out.  Whether with or without an MDCv2 political option, I
don't care.

I don't know what is going on in Europe and the rest of the world, but I
would be surprised if they were going with SHA-1 in the long term.
You cannot ignore these decisions if you want openpgp to be successful.

I have not heard about any plans to switch to SHA-2.  At least Germany
is still using RIPME-MD160 out of fear that SHA-1 has been developed
in the U.S.  I don't think that this algorithm is any better than
SHA-1 but some people decided in the past to use an European algorithm
(another layer 9 issue).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner