Re: Rechartering the OpenPGP WG

2008-01-18 18:28:36

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 02:44:43PM -0800, Jon Callas wrote:

Please respond in the next week so I can collect the responses
and work on an updated WG Charter.

Here's some things I think should be put on the table:

* PFS
* New symmetric ciphers, e.g. Camillia
* Elliptic Curve / Suite B Crypto
* AHS support
* Exotic Signatures (Dan Nagy mentioned this)
* Extended Fingerprints
* OpenPGP/MIME improvements

I'm sure there are others I may have forgotten. Not being on that list
doesn't mean that I think it should be excluded. Also, being on that
list only means we will discuss or create drafts. We might decide that
discussion doesn't get to a draft, or draft doesn't get to RFC. If
something isn't in the charter, we won't discuss it. So being in the
charter only means a willingness to discuss.

Indeed, and in that light, I'd like to add to the list:

* V5 keys
* Changing/adding to the default / MUST-implement symmetric cipher
* Changing/adding to the default / MUST-implement hash algorithm

V5 keys might be the easiest way to get extended fingerprints or a
different default cipher, as it neatly removes the
backwards-compatibility issues.  This is true even if V5 is defined as
identical to V4 except for the version number.

David