Re: Rechartering the OpenPGP WG

2008-01-17 12:09:53

I'm interested in seeing the OpenPGP mail header draft published, but we
need help to finish it.  I recall that there were some comments on the
ABNF schema and I don't have the ABNF expertize or time available to
look into it.  What's missing is properly specifying the OpenPGP: header
to be compatible with RFC 2822 style ABNF in particular wrt proper
whitespace handling.  The current draft is at:

http://josefsson.org/openpgp-header/

The other open issue is PGP/MIME vs inline PGP "supports" header.  The
earlier discussion wasn't productive, and my conclusion was that there
is no consensus on how PGP signed e-mail should look like that is worth
writing into the document.  I strongly think that supporting anything
but PGP/MIME is broken, but others seems to have equally strong opposite
opinions.  I would suggest to drop this part of the specification, it is
only mentioned as an open issue right now.

/Simon

Derek Atkins <derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com> writes:

Happy New Year everyone.

At the IETF in Vancouver last month Sam Hartman said that he'd
welcome a rechartering discussion to allow us to continue to
work.  So before I start writing up a charter and milestones,
please pipe up if:

1) You are working on a draft that you think should be in the WG
2) You are thinking of working on a draft in the near future
   that you think should be in the WG
3) You have a working item topic that you'd like the WG to handle
   but you're not working on a draft yet but would like to get
   someone to work on.

Obviously #1 and #2 take significant precedence over #3.  In
addition, please provide time estimates for how much work
you suspect the draft will take (so we can set up appropriate
WG milestones).

Please respond in the next week so I can collect the responses
and work on an updated WG Charter.

NOTE:  If you do not respond then your idea will not be included
in the charter.  If I hear nothing then the WG will just be closed,
which means you'll actually need to physically attend IETFs
to get a new WG chartered.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-derek, your friendly neighborhood working group chair
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com             www.ihtfp.com