Since some time the OpenPGP protocol is again en vogue and the tendency
to prefer S/MIME over OpenPGP is not as strong as it seems to have been
once. Case in point, the DANE WG has a last call for an OpenPGP DNS
record type. This is obviously related to OpenPGP and should have been
discussed here as well (actually we did briefly in Summer 2013).
There are several tasks the WG should do:
- New signature subpackets. For example one to specify a fingerprint
and not just the keyid.
- Take care of individual I-Ds.
- The use of SHA-1 needs to be replaced.
- A v5 key format. Prepare for forthcoming public key algorithms.
- A new encryption mode to replace our aging CFB+SHA1 method with a
fast and standard mode.
- Maybe extend it to key distribution.
Is there any interest in this?
How can we get the WG out of the concluded state?
Would the Dallas meeting be a starting point for this?
Who would volunteer as Chair?
Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.
openpgp mailing list