Re: [openpgp] Proposed WG charter

2015-06-09 08:29:22
Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> writes:

On Tue,  2 Jun 2015 12:43, iang(_at_)iang(_dot_)org said:

I think the reality of OpenPGP's lifecycle is that we are going to be
dealing with legacy implementations and algorithms anyway, and just

I don't think that "legacy" is an appropriate term here.  In contrast to
many other protocols (e.g. IP) we need to care about data at rest.
There are huge amounts of encrypted or signed data on disks and tapes
which eventually need to be decrypted.

It might be good to think of OpenPGP data like the tar format and not
like http/smtp/xmpp.

It might help to suggest (in the specification) that OpenPGP
implementations MAY implement decrypt support for older crypto
algorithms but MUST NOT encrypt using them.

Otherwise I suspect that implementations might accidentally (or not) end
up implement both encrypt and decrypt because that is the natural way of
implementing crypto, and supporting both variants simplify testing (you
can test roundtrips).  However doing that is bad for security.

/Simon