Re: [openpgp] saltpack on OpenPGP message format problems

2016-02-10 21:42:08
Stephen Paul Weber <singpolyma(_at_)singpolyma(_dot_)net> writes:

Couldn't we just say "PGP is binary, encode however you like"?  In email we
have transport encodings, and so do most other reasonable places.  The only
real use for ASCII armor anymore is in "clearsign" context when posting
a plain text file that contains the signature, etc.

The "ASCII armoring" was written in order to, among other things, allow PGP
to traverse Fidonet systems running on MSDOS with 2400bps modems.  That's
what it dates back to.  It should have died a long, long time ago, we can
send pretty much any other binary-only format over pretty much any medium in
a manner that's totally invisible to the user, there's no need to still
retain it.

Peter.