Re: [openpgp] Default preferences for the future

2017-03-21 12:31:41
I suppose it depends on how many messages you have encrypted that used
TripleDES as the algorithm. If you don't have an archive of encrypted
messages, then dropping TripleDES is not a big deal for you.

I view this like the RFC1991->RFC2440 transition, where although we couldn't
drop IDEA completely we certainly made it clear an implementation probably
shouldn't use it.  I suggest we take the same approach for 3DES.  I agree
with you that being able to decrypt existing traffic is a good thing, but
I'd like to see strong language advising it not be used for generating new
traffic.

RFC4880 had AES128 as a SHOULD algorithm. Making it a MUST algorithm now
should not be a problem for most implmentations.

Agreed.

I do not object to making AES256 a MUST algorithm.

Thank you.  :)

To get the most out of AES256, one needs enough entropy to properly seed
a PRNG to get 256 bits out of it... [good explanation snipped]

Built-in hardware random number generators are increasingly commonplace
nowadays.  See, e.g., Ivy Bridge and later architectures.