Re: Proxylet Downloading and metadata

2001-03-05 22:24:01
Phil Rzewski wrote:

I certainly like to hear this enumerated. It was an area of confusion for
me at the NYC meeting, since I went in there with the "proxylet means local
execution" assumption... which I picked up from the original EPSFW... but
it didn't seem like everyone was working off that document anymore.
Therefore, if we get rough consensus around this definition, perhaps it
belongs in the OPES Taxonomy draft?

I agree that recent usage of the terms might have been confusing and
that we've to agree on a common terminology. I'd say that the original
usage of the term "proxylet" was quite fine, we just need another term
to refer to the actual code without any dependency to where it will be
executed. Suggestion:

 plug-in : A piece of code that can run on any machine (given the
           machine supports the required API and execution
environment)
 servlet : plug-in code running on a server
 proxylet: plug-in code running on a (local) proxy
 call-outlet :) plug-in code running on a (remote) call-out server.

Maybe somebody can come up with a better name for call-outlet :)

-Markus