Re: Proxylet Downloading and metadata

2001-03-06 05:15:27
Markus,

What happens when one box can function either as an origin/replica server or
an intermediary?  Is it a server or a proxy?  When my service plug-in runs
there, is it a servelet or a proxylet?  Or do we need more general name for
the box?  A "service node" perhaps?

If everyone can run on the same box, then all that distinguishes the
servelet from the proxylet is API.
/micah

----- Original Message -----
From: "Markus Hofmann" <hofmann(_at_)bell-labs(_dot_)com>
To: "Micah Beck" <mbeck(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Cc: <ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: Proxylet Downloading and metadata

Micah,

Thus, my proposal is that "X-let" be taken to mean "a small portable
program
written to the X API".

What happens when a server, a proxy, and a call-out server all
implement the same API (just think of CGI)? What would you call the
piece of code that can run without modifications on all three
platforms/APIs?

When it runs on the server, it's a servlet. When it runs on the proxy,
it's a proxylet, etc. But what would we call the actual code,
independent from where it will be executed? A suggetion was "service
plug-in"...

-Markus