RE: iCAP, OPES and the IETF

2001-06-05 09:15:30
At 08:23 AM 05/06/01 -0700, Menon, Rama R wrote:
I strongly echo the points made by Markus. I believe the lack of an approval
of ICAP by any standards body - a temporary issue that will change soon - at
this point does NOT hurt ICAP efforts *as long as* there is the higher goal
of making a true standard work with a variety of products  from different
vendors.

Let me (further!) clarify. An Information RFC is not a standard, nor is it "approval by ... standards body". It is simply a documentation of fact.

There are any number of examples of cross-industry efforts (Bluetooth, PCI,
USB, ...) that didn't have any standards body blessing as a starting point
to be successful; so, let's co-operate, make iCAP even stronger and get it
through the normal standards process in IETF, the way communication
protocols are standardized.

We have had the iCAP Forum for almost 2 years now. Folks wanted us to publish the results via the RFC process. That's what we're doing.

As regards "standardization", I am proposing that this happens "within the standards process of the IETF". [That's a quote from *my* original email, in fact.]

John

Network Appliance           Direct / Voicemail: +31 23 567 9615
Kruisweg 799                               Fax: +31 23 567 9699
NL-2132 NG Hoofddorp               Main Office: +31 23 567 9600