Re: Q: Why is ICAP limited to HTTP

2001-06-08 10:03:07

This was discussed at the working group meeting.
iCAP may not be strong enough for all callout sevices.
Certainly the concept is useful but the particular protocol may
not have sufficient power.

I'm sorry I missed that discussion but I couldn't attend. But what do you
mean with powerful ? If it refers to:

* performance: I think for instance SMTP has the huge advantage is queued
anyway ... so take the time to process it.
* protocol/header information: I think the SMTP headers provide you with all
the information you need for services that make sense. If it's IMAP or POP3
I agree, although it's even hard for me to think about a useful icap-alike
service for them.
* pressure to get HTTP done asap: I agree, but we need to think about how to
extend the protocol later

Wilbert