RE: iCAP, OPES and the IETF

2001-06-05 09:30:29
John,
Thanks for the clarification; I do know about the ICAP forum and its history
to some extent.
I guess the gist of my brief e-mail was to emphasize the need for
cooperation aspect, which was seemingly getting strained.
I sensed the concern in the response by Markus about potential for
divergence in "standards", as submitted to these different bodies.

Glad to see that you propose  "standardization" as happening at IETF.

Regards,
- Rama
*******

-----Original Message-----
From: John Martin [mailto:jmartin(_at_)netapp(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 9:14 AM
To: Menon, Rama R; 'Markus Hofmann'
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: iCAP, OPES and the IETF

At 08:23 AM 05/06/01 -0700, Menon, Rama R wrote:
I strongly echo the points made by Markus. I believe the lack of an
approval
of ICAP by any standards body - a temporary issue that will change soon -
at
this point does NOT hurt ICAP efforts *as long as* there is the higher goal
of making a true standard work with a variety of products  from different
vendors.

Let me (further!) clarify. An Information RFC is not a standard, nor is it
"approval by ... standards body". It is simply a documentation of fact.

There are any number of examples of cross-industry efforts (Bluetooth, PCI,
USB, ...) that didn't have any standards body blessing as a starting point
to be successful; so, let's co-operate, make iCAP even stronger and get it
through the normal standards process in IETF, the way communication
protocols are standardized.

We have had the iCAP Forum for almost 2 years now. Folks wanted us to
publish the results via the RFC process. That's what we're doing.

As regards "standardization", I am proposing that this happens "within the
standards process of the IETF". [That's a quote from *my* original email,
in fact.]

John

Network Appliance           Direct / Voicemail: +31 23 567 9615
Kruisweg 799                               Fax: +31 23 567 9699
NL-2132 NG Hoofddorp               Main Office: +31 23 567 9600