Re: iCAP, OPES and the IETF

2001-06-05 13:11:05
At 21:40 6/5/2001 +0200, John Martin wrote:
Buts lets try to separate the two issues (as Ian did somewhat better than I).

Thanks.

I was just perusing the stardust.com site, and noticed the following:
http://www.stardust.com/cdnweek/articles/2001/05/21/ietf.htm

The most interesting quote is on the second page:

"What does ICAP have to do with OPES? They both provide similar functionality; at least ICAP does pretty much what the OPES people want to do. In fact, many of the names associated with the ICAP protocol group are also associated with the OPES group.

"The obvious question is this: Why OPES if ICAP already solves the problem? And the answer is that OPES does more. The architectures are similar, but greater flexibility is provided under OPES, as can be seen in the figure taken from the OPES architecture document."

Interesting that the analysts/reporters see it this way but that there is some kind of confusion on this list. (No, I'm not suggesting it's quite as clear cut as suggested in the article.)